Counseling Program Graduate passes National Counselor Examination

Carroll Institute graduated its first group of students in the Master of Arts in Counseling degree program on May 21, 2013. One of the graduates, Donna Jordan, went on to pass the National Counselor Examination. Passing the exam is a key step enabling the student to apply for and receive a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) internship status.

Mrs. Jordan, wife of Rev. Garry Jordan who pastors NorthPointe First Baptist Church Joshua in Burleson, TX, began the counseling program at Carroll Institute in March 2011 and was able to complete all the requirements in two years. Mrs. Jordan commented,

“When God began leading me to pursue a degree in counseling, I knew that I wanted to obtain state licensure as well as learn what it means to be a Christian counselor – not simply to be a counselor who happens to be a Christian. Therefore, choosing a counseling program grounded in theology was critical to me. All of the classes in theology and counseling gave me exactly what I needed. The theology classes challenged me to be able to articulate my spiritual beliefs, to pursue holiness and discipline in my spiritual life, and to always have a teachable spirit in faith and practice. At the same time, the counseling classes encouraged me to integrate my faith into the counseling setting and to be sensitive to the work of the Holy Spirit in people’s lives regardless of their spiritual aptitude.”

Although many BHCTI students work part-time on their studies while in full-time ministry or other occupations, Mrs. Jordan was able to study full-time in order to accomplish her goal.

“Having the flexibility of the 8-week terms as well as the opportunity to take online and face-to-face classes allowed me to complete the entire program with expediency. Since this was a career shift for me, I was anxious to complete the program as quickly as possible and these options certainly helped me accomplish that goal.”

Dr. Scott Floyd began the counseling degree program at Carroll Institute in 2010 when he joined the faculty and administrative staff as Fellow and Director of the program. In addition to his teaching responsibilities, Dr. Floyd serves as Minister of Counseling at Travis Avenue Baptist Church, Fort Worth, and is a frequent speaker for marriage, family, and parenting seminars, conferences, and retreats. He holds licensures as a Licensed Professional Counselor (Approved Supervisor), and Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist.  He is the author of Crisis Counseling: A Guide for Pastors and Professionals (Kregel Academic & Professional).

Currently, Donna Jordan serves as director of the Women’s Ministry Team at her church but anticipates teaching some classes and helping to facilitate the Divorce Recovery ministry in the fall. As she considers the next steps in pursuing her LPC, she is seeking opportunities to counsel at a few local non-profit organizations as well as applying for employment at a few state agencies. Her long-term desire is to begin or be a part of a counseling ministry in her church.

“I am grateful that God in His sovereignty led me to Carroll Institute. I have been blessed by each faculty member and for the time they have poured into my life. I am especially thankful for the tireless efforts of Dr. Scott Floyd in helping to start and grow the counseling program. I will be eternally grateful for his guidance, supervision and constant support.”

Published: Jun 24, 2013

6629ba84e6141
0
0